The reason there are so many cases of abuse (physical & sexual) in the IFB movement is they are all about man-made rules, and “These rules have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh” (Colossians 2:23).
The Achilles Heel of Fundamentalism | Think Gospel
Ungodly Discipline | CNN
20/20 report (IFB) Idependant Fundamentalist Baptist Church’s | Video (YouTube)
Teen Charged With Sexually Assaulting a 6-year-old Girl | I know first-hand that the staff at FBC claimed Mucha was merely a visitor, when in fact he was a long-time attender (at least 8-10 yrs.) with his grandparents and known to be troubled. This false claim perhaps was done to reduce liability and scrutiny.
Jack Schaap Charged, Paul Chappell Speaks Out, and The Independent Fundamental Baptist Movement’s Next Steps | Christianity Today, Ed Stetzer
Books/Resources to Help in Healing
- 5 Restorative Books for The Wounded & Weary Christian
- Toxic Faithand inPDF
- With | Skye Jethani
- Healing Spiritual Abuse (Blue) – great Biblical foundation substantiating the existence of spiritual abuse
- The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse (Van Vonderan & Johnson) – more detailed description of what spiritual abuse looks like
- Wounded by God’s People (Anne Graham Lotz) – draws on the life of Hagar, personal examples, an understanding, uncondemning perspective
- A Tale of Three Kings (Edwards)
- Soul Repair (Van Vonderan & Ryan) – understanding who/what we really worship, getting free from the religious gods that are not God
- Tired of Trying to Measure Up (Van Vonderan) – the title says it all!
- Twisted Scriptures (Mary Alice Chrnalogar) – amazing! Exposes frequently misused Bible passages, written specifically for people who are in a religious cult, or who have family members that are
- Desperate (Sally Clarkson & Sarah Mae) – for moms who feel like they can’t measure up to people’s expectations (pressure from people at church)
- Heartfelt Discipline (Clay Clarkson) – more about developing a relationship with your child and parenting by faith, not formula. Debunks traditional teaching on spanking.
- Podcasts and articles from thatmom.com about patriarchy spiritual abuse.